Saturday, September 8, 2007

Race to Saturn - Update and Setup

Well, I'm getting started with games stuff. I have a couple of ideas as to what I would like to develop and I have set my computer up as a fairly comprehensive (to me anyway) development environment. I currently have set up:
VC++ Express 2008 (I may downgrade this to 2005 express at some point. it is still a beta version after all :))
SDL
SDL_Image
SDL_Net
SDL_TTF
FMod
FreeType
GLEW (for opengl extensions, in case I ever want to go into shaders and stuff :))

and just because I'm interested:
C# 2005 express and XNA 1.0 refresh

So I think I am set up for most of my development needs.

As for other stuff, I have put a bit of thought into my roadmap, but it is in no way finalised yet. My current thoughts go:

Set-Up (completed)
Refresh knowledge on SDL and OpenGL (in progress)
Develop first game/demo
Learn sound and networking stuff
Develop second demo
Learn how to use TTF font rendering effectively
Add some menus etc to previous demos
Advanced OpenGL
More impressive demo (graphically anyway ;)
Some physics stuff (possibly look at havok, or possibly develop some demos on my own. Depends on how I feel :))
Start designing/implementing an engine
See how things go from there

Now, I've dabbled in a lot of this stuff before, so I hope that this initial set of things won't take me too long. I'm going to set an initial timescale of 6 months for it though, just so I can feel better if I go faster (and so I don't feel bad if I act like a lazy bum and find myself entangled with work more than this ;))

So, with that, I'm going to sign off for the week and update next sat/sun with any progress I have made towards relearning SDL and OpenGL :)

No comments: